Humanities Bldg c. 1911
Humanities Bldg 2004
In 1934, President Homer Shantz obtained Public Works Administration (PWA) funds from the Federal Government to initiate a seven-building capital program for the campus.
All of these buildings would be designed by Roy Place in the "Lombard Romanesque style with variations."
The Humanities Building (now the Center for English as a Second Language) provided 18 badly-needed classrooms, which included two large auditorium-type lecture rooms.
While the outside of the building was fairly decorative, the interiors were simple and no-nonsense, with concrete floors, plain walls, and no elevator.
The building exhibits Italian Romanesque detailing, including two-story recessed window openings topped with semicircular arches articulated with terra cotta voussoirs.
Spandrel panels between floors contain glazed earthtone terra cotta panels with 'Pueblo Deco' tile patterns. Beneath the red-tile roof, the building facades display a
combination of expressions, including a corbeled arch cornice and a frieze of alternating terra cotta and brick panels.
- Construction Year: 1904
- Architect: Russell, Moran & Garden
- Style: Classical Revival
- Listed on the National Register: 1986